data of object
|Type of object:||vacation rental|
|Living area:||76 m2|
|Number of rooms:||4|
|Number of of sleeping accomodations (beds):||4|
|number of bathrooms:||1|
Private house quietly located in a property of 8.000 m² in Piedade, with magnificent view of the Ocean and the nearby island of São Jorge. Piedade is a small village on the north east end of the Pico Island. In the centre one finds banks, shops and several cafés. The surroundings are rural, spotted with grape yards and fields.
Carefully renovated traditional stone house, 76 m² living area, 2 bedrooms, living room, shower room, kitchen with dining area.
Living room: seats 5 persons, satellite TV, wood oven
Bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin, bed linen, sleeps 4 persons
Kitchen/dining: equipped kitchen, dining area seating 6 persons
Bathroom: shower, WC, basin, heating, towels
Veranda: glased balcony, seats 8 persons
Outside: garden, barbecue, parking
Final cleaning EUR 40 to be paid locally.
Sleeps 4 persons, self catering. Breakfast and/or diner can be served in the main house, must be agreed with owner.
Since public transportation is scarce, it is recommended to have a rental car or motorbike.
Whale watching: if required, the owners can book you a tour trip with one of the responsible companies, or arrange for you to chart your own boat. Fishing boat and scuba diving on request. Trip with a local traditional fishing boat: it is possible to take a trip with one of the local fishing boats on their fishing day. Departure 5am, return mid day. Fishing in traditional style (cane and rod, no nets).
town and location of object
Located in a property of 8.000 m² in Piedade, with magnificent view of the Ocean and the nearby island of São Jorge. Piedade is a small village on the north east end of the Pico Island. In the centre one finds banks, shops and several cafés. The surroundings are rural, spotted with grape yards and fields.
Pico , Azores , Portugal
Pico is the second largest island of the Archipelago with a surface area of 448 km2. It is home to the highest mountain in Portugal which reaches an altitude of 2351 meters.
The island of Pico is divided into three municipalities, “Madalena”, “São Roque”, and “Lajes”. Similar to the other islands the value of its’ architectonic patrimony is found in the churches and chapels of the different parishes:
- The “Santa Maria Madalena” Church in the town of Madalena, the “São Roque” Church and Convent and Church of “São Pedro de Alcântra” in São Roque, and the “Nossa Senhora da Conceição” Church and Chapel of “São Pedro” in Lajes, along with many others are examples of the island’s architectural patrimony.
The majestic mountain in Pico, classified in 1972 as Natural Reserve, is a prominent and consistent element in the island’s landscape.
Using the network of roads which pass through the interior of the island, along the mountainside and the coastline, Pico offers a landscape of indescribable beauty. Although it is almost impossible to highlight any one point of Pico’s landscape as better than the last or the next it is necessary to point out a few:
- Starting from the area of “Furnas” at the base of the mountain you will find thick forests up to an altitude of 1500 meters. From this point to about 2000 metres shrubbery takes over. After that bare lava, snow covered in winter, is all you will find. The mountain is peaked by Pico Alto, a round crater with a perimeter of about 700 metres and a 30 meter depth. Pico Pequeno is the volcanic cone which lies at the extremity of the crater. It rises about 70 metres and has fumaroles at its base. Sunrise as viewed from the summit is a spectacular and unforgettable sight;
- The “Capitão, Caiado”, and “Paúl” Lakes, among many others, set within a natural and entrancing environment;
- The “Mistério da Prainha”, between São Roque and Prainha, “Mistério das Bandeiras”, between Santa Luzia and Bandeiras, on the north coast and the “Mistério de São João”, on the south coast, are extensive fields of lava spilled from volcanic eruptions registered after settlement on the island. Much of the cultivated land was destroyed by the eruptions;
- The “Arcos do Cachorro”, an impressive lava flow is perforated by numerous tunnels and grottoes. The ocean passes thunderously in these grottoes and tunnels creating a notable effect;
- The Caves of the “Frei Matias, Silveira” and “Montanheiros”, are magnificent caves which are especially appreciated by speleologists;
- There are extensive virgin areas which are covered in exuberant vegetation, predominantly the “Cedro-do-mato” forest-cedar (Juniperus brevifolia), including the Natural Reserves of “Caiado” Lake, “Caveiro” and “Mistério da Prainha”. All of these are sanctuaries of the rich endemic vegetation particular to the region.
While passing through Lajes, a stop at the “Baleeiros” (whale) Museum is necessary. All that pertains to the glorious whaling tradition is available to the public. Displayed are biographies, whaling canoes and every article needed for the activity. Due to present day concerns whaling has been halted but the spirit and the memory of the “sea-wolves” still lives. Of growing popularity is the parctice of whale watching. A growing number of enterprises offer spectacular expeditions to the interested tourist.
The vineyards of Pico are very distinctive. A maze of stone walls form corrals in which the grapevines are found. In this way the farmers were able to rid the soil of the many rocks and form shelter for their crops. The “maroiças” or pyramids were also built for the same reason and add an interesting aspect to Pico’s landscape. The product of these grapevines is the famous wine known as “Verdelho do Pico”, a superb aperitif.
Completing your tour of Pico at Madalena’s pier, a daily ferry to Faial is available. From the ocean the sightseer is left with a final portrait of the mountain island which includes the islets “Deitado” (lying down) and “Em-pé” (standing up) overshadowed by the magnificent mountain.
arrival and distances
Distance to next airport: Pico (PIX)
- 50 km
Distance to next Shop: 1 km
Sport facilities nearby
fishing, climbing, biking, horse riding, swimming, sailing, diving,
Type of holiday
- relaxation holiday
- family holiday
- sport holiday
- hiking holiday
Total number of sleeping facilities: 2
bathrooms and WCs
number of bathrooms: 1
External facilities of object
- car Parking
Internal facilities of object
Machines and equipment
- bed linen provided
- towels provided
- permanent internet connection
- audio tape player
- garden chair
- 4 ring stove
- low allergen environment
- pets negotiable
- seniors suitable for
- children welcome
Minimum rental 3 nights.
Minimum rental: 40 Euro per object per day
price of final cleaning: 40 Euro Season prices
|from||to||per night||per week||renting unit|
|01.01.13||30.04.13||35 €||-||per object|
|01.05.13||30.06.13||60 €||-||per object|
|01.07.13||30.09.13||80 €||-||per object|
|01.10.13||31.10.13||60 €||-||per object|
|01.11.13||31.12.13||35 €||-||per object|
The owner speaks the following languages:
German, English, French, Spanish, Portugiesisch
Send to a Friend
The map does not indicate the exact position of the object, but only the approximate location or the center of town.
For the exact address, please inquire directly with the owner.